Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Peace and Good

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.” ~ John 14:27

The word peace is one which brings to mind an array of thoughts and feelings. At the sound of this word my mind often starts to hear;

You may say I’m a dreamer,
But I’m not the only one
I hope some day you’ll join us
And the world will live as one”

Yes, as John Lennon wrote and sang, Imagine, I imagine the world seeing another man of peace like St. Francis of Assisi who understood that peace of the soul was indeed a priceless treasure. St. Paul writing to the Galatians tried to persuade them that it was a gift, “the fruit of the Spirit” and in its deepest identity it is Jesus himself.

Francis wished whole heartedly that everyone might be the happy possessor of it greeting everyone with Pax et bonum (peace and good) – in fact one of his prayers starts with, “Lord make me an instrument of your peace.” As a parting gift to Brother Leo, Francis left in his own handwriting the Blessing of Peace from the Book of Numbers;

“May the Lord bless thee and keep thee,
May He show thee His face
And have pity on thee;

And may He turn His face toward thee
And grant thee peace.”

In the midst of our troubles the Lord says, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. I give you My peace – I am your peace.” Peace is not the absence of feeling, but an assurance in God who brings that inward peace. If you’ve ever been anxious or experienced a panic attack you can feel your heart racing and peace in this situation could be described as Jesus making your heart sit down.


Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. Everything passes away except God.”
― Julian of Norwich





No comments: