Saturday, April 21, 2012

Trust in the Lord

We arose to a new day – a great gift from God. Without Him we would have nothing. How did we welcome this day? How did we affirm our belief in Him? I hope it started with a simple gesture of making the sign of the cross and uttered the words that we were baptized by “In the name of the Father and the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

As you start your day do you make Jesus an important part of your daily life or do you tend to go at it alone, especially when things are calm. In today’s very simple Gospel (John 6: 16-21) we read about how the disciples decide to go without Jesus. They encounter rough seas and strong winds. John does not go into any further detail about the conditions as Mark does but chooses to focus on Jesus.  “It is I; do not be afraid,” are the words Jesus greets them with and soon the seas and the wind are calmed and as John says, “and immediately the boat reached the land toward which they were going.”

“He reduced the storm to calm, and all the waters subsided. He brought them overjoyed at the stillness, to the port where they were bound”. (Ps 107, 29-30).

In my contemplative pause, now, I let myself be surprised by Jesus. He is indeed the Lord who loves us and saves us and that remains with us until the end of time.

Jesus, Bread of Life, make me more aware of your presence hidden in my everyday life that I can hear: "It is I, do not be afraid!"

“Lord, let your mercy be on us, as we place our trust in you.” (Psalm 33)

No comments: