Tuesday, January 31, 2012

When God Runs

A short time ago, during the Advent season, my spiritual focus was on the little prayer, “Come Lord Jesus.” I shared this theme each time I had the opportunity with the men I visit almost weekly in a nearby Correctional facility. As I talked to them I reminded myself of what I had to do to prepare the way for the Lord; the impediments (the hills and valleys of my life) that had to be smoothed out so the Lord would have an easier path to me. This I find is often easier said than done.

Even though I have made an effort to chip away at some of the mountains and to fill in some of the valleys that I have created, I’m still a work in progress and will probably be at it for a lifetime. One can get discouraged and find that smoothing out the path of life is almost like trying to maintain the roads pot-hole free in the Northeast.

Words of encouragement came via Max Lucado”s short reflection, “God Runs Toward You.”  He says that to brighten your day envision God running toward you. He wisely points out what God did in the various circumstances: “When his patriarchs trusted, God blessed. When Peter preached or Paul wrote or Thomas believed, God smiled. But he never ran.”

The time we do hear of God running is when He sees the prodigal son returning;  “But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.” (Luke 15:20 NKJV)

Of all the parables Jesus told this is close to the top of my list of favorites and it became more so while trying to be a father to three boys. This taught me a lot about unconditional love. It also shows that God runs to all who turn toward God

Max says that,  When prodigals trudge up the path, God can’t sit still. Heaven’s throne room echoes with the sound of slapping sandals and pounding feet, and angels watch in silence as God embraces his child.”

And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. ~Joel 2:13

No comments: