Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Holy Spirit Will Teach You

Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you are trying to find the appropriate thing to say?

As I was trying to console someone who was having a hard time dealing with the loss of their mother I was grasping for something that would ease that pain.

I'm reminded of this moment once again as I read in this morning's Gospel these words;

"For the Holy Spirit will teach you at that moment what you should say." ~ Luke 12:12

As I kept talking to that grieving person I eventually found one word that would drastically wipe out the tears and sadness. As I sat back, I couldn't figure out where that came from other than the Holy Spirit.

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." ~ John 14:25-27

The Holy Spirit is known by many names and here we read how St. John calls him the helper and teacher. What better resource do we want to tap into for as Kay Arthur says,  "God knows what each one of us is dealing with. He knows our pressures. He knows our conflicts. And He has made a provision for each and every one of them. That provision is Himself in the person of the Holy Spirit, indwelling us and empowering us to respond rightly."

I echo the prayer from St. Augustine

"O Holy Spirit, descend plentifully into my heart. Enlighten the dark corners of this neglected dwelling and scatter there Thy cheerful beams."

No comments: