Thursday, October 04, 2012

Grace vs. Mercy

Help me, Lord God, in my good resolve and in thy holy service,
and give me grace this very day really and truly to begin,
for what I have done till now is nothing.

 
 
Distinguishing grace from mercy:
Grace-God’s solution to man’s sin.
Mercy-God’s solution to man’s misery.
Grace-Covers the sin. 
Mercy-Removes the pain.
Grace-Gives us what we do not deserve. 
Mercy-Does not give us what we do deserve
Grace-Unearned favor which saves us. Mercy-Undeserved favor which forgives us.
Grace-Deals with the cause of sin. Mercy-Deals with the symptoms of sin.
Grace-Offers pardon for the crime. Mercy-Offers relief from the punishment.
Grace-Cures or heals the “disease.” Mercy-Eliminates the pain of the “disease.”
Grace-Regarding salvation it says, “Heaven.”Mercy-Regarding salvation it says, “No Hell.”
Grace-Says, “I pardon you.”Mercy-Says, “I pity you” 
 
 
I do not at all understand the mystery of grace, only that it meets us where we are but does not leave us where it found us. Anne Lamott 

No comments: